Monday 14 April 2008

WE WILL ROCK YOU - Queen Musical!


We will rock you, a musical by Queen and Ben Elton blew my mind away today! The costumes, set and most importantly, the Queen songs were awesome!! Queen fans or not would enjoy and love the show to the max! Having seated 11 rows from the front, it was by far the best seat I've sat in for any musicals at the esplanade! To top it off, Vane and I only got our tickets for $50 at student price! We were actually willing to pay $140 for the best seats since we both loved Queen so much therefore it was a steal when we got them at such a cheap price!! I LOVE being a student!

The show was spectacular with fantastic music played by the live band. I particularly loved the costumes, dance and the use of the LCD screen that cost $2 million or so I heard. Most of the female dancers were really hot with great bods too! XD

The story takes place in the future where rock is dead and all music instruments are destroyed. Galileo Figaro played by Miguel Ayesa, plays a young rebel who refuses/fails to conform with the majority who wear the same fashion and think the same thoughts. In a world where music is generated and downloaded through computers, Galileo, together with some other 'Bohemians' work together to fight against Globalsoft, a company who runs the world.

Miguel Ayesa,
who starred as Galileo was a little disappointing though. He wasn't bad, just not spectacular. I thought he wasn't powerful enough and that I didn't feel the "oomph" in his performance. He was actually a little bit annoying. I figured it could be because he was supposed to be some kid. Oh well I think it was probably because I had a higher expectation before watching. I think the only cast worth mentioning was Pop, the old bohemian guy. He was natural, engaging and funny! Vane is in love with him. haha!

Anyway, the familiar Queen songs got both Vane and I moving and singing along with them in our seats. We were itching to stand up to actually dance along therefore when the cast on stage invited the audience to stand for 'We will rock you', both of us jumped up and started clapping, singing and dancing! It was great seeing the whole theatre singing and dancing along with the cast! The energy level was amazing and we were still high even after the show ended!

I also loved how they made references to Singapore such as Bugis street and Dick Lee! haha! A fun and entertaining production that I recommend to all. Do grab the student tickets if you are one because its really value for money!! It was also so good that Vane and I are going to watch it again in London this summer since the London cast would be even better!





From The Straits Times online,

"Rockin' it with Queen, well almost... Having rocked over six million people since its West End debut in 2002, the multi-million dollar jukebox musical 'We Will Rock You' hits the shores for a one month run at the Esplanade.

Thunderous tunes from rock n' roll legends Queen infused with a tickling script from comedian Ben Elton, the three hour musical tells of the age-old quest for freedom, raked with interspersed romance and the enduring vigour of rock music.

Dong Tianzhao discovers a kind of magic called Queen.

Duration: 3 min 5 secs"

Here's a VIDEO REPORT done by Dong Tianzhao.


Haven't grabbed your tickets? Hurry do so now at SISTIC before the show ends on the 27th of April 2008!


Watch the following Queen videos to see how awesome they are!

Bohemian Rhapsody


I Want to Break Free
I abosolutely LOVE this vid!



2 comments:

2-ton said...

Lol, this is the very first blog I have read that didn't say MiG was awesome! He was Galileo at the Dominion in 2004 and 2005! You are to be applauded for calling it as you see it even if against the tide!

.:decadence:. said...

ha..thanks.. I think the main reason was because I was expecting someone different as Galileo. I'm sorry if I offended you though >_< (seeing that you are a MiG fan!)